With record breaking heat surging throughout the Okanagan Valley, there’s a lot of summer activity fun to be had. We’re all aware of social distancing protocols so, for the purposes of this article, we’ll omit mentioning them again as, at this point, they’re a given. So what can you get up to in the local Okanagan area in Summer 2020?
1) Wine Tasting Let’s face it, it never gets old! Well, wine does, but the experience is fresh and tasty every single time. The West Kelowna Wine Trail runs from Westbank, all the way across West Kelowna, often with stunning views of the valley and lake, and features award winning wines for you to sample and purchase.
2) Beach It There are numerous beaches to choose from between Summerland and Kelowna, including several dog beaches if you’re looking for somewhere for your four legged friend to blow off some steam. Beaches along the Okanagan lake range from sandy to rocky, but most public beaches feature washrooms nearby and picnic areas. Be sure to pack an umbrella as the sun can get pretty toasty in the afternoons.
3) Hiking & Biking If West Kelowna has an abundance of anything (other than wineries) it’s hiking and biking trails. Whether you’re venturing into the mountains that provide the scenic backdrop for Tallus Ridge, or hiking Glen Canyon, or climbing the winding paths to the peak of Mount Boucherie, there’s ample opportunity for exploration. Most trails accommodate both hiking and biking and we recommend checking All Trails for the most up to date information on condition and difficulty.
4) Zipline Tours ZipZone in Peachland (around 20-25 minutes from Tallus Ridge) features the highest freestyle ziplining in all of Canada. Not exactly for the faint of heart, this high octane (like really high) adventure park features different ziplining adventures, plus a ninja park, climbing wall, and more. Fun for all ages if you’re looking for a bit of adventure. Be sure to book ahead of time.
5) Safari Ridge Paintball While this last one is aimed squarely at the kids, adults are more than welcome to partake. And frankly, if you’ve never felt the sheer terror of a paintball zinging past your ear, it might be just the thing you need to jump start your second childhood. Safari Ridge Adventure Park in West Kelowna has been around for a few decades now. Featuring a number of different ‘fields’, all rentable equipment, and options for different games (including lazer tag for those who don’t like pain), this is a fun escape for kids of all ages.
Have a fantastic summer and be sure to get out there and enjoy yourself!